KEK Top User Information Users Office Japanese Site map Links
1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
  Residence card, etc
  Residence card
  & Moving in
  & Health Insurance
  Application forms

2 Hanko/Inkan(Seal) - "Ginko-in","Jitu-in","Mitome-in" 

 Regarding Inkans


  Personal inkans (seal) are used like a signature in Japan. There are three kinds of the personal hankos,    Registered hankos, Bank hankos and Unregistered (informal) hankos.

  1) Ginko-in
    When you open your bank account, you need your hanko which is called “Ginko-in” or signature
    (only for people who have a job). We recommend to buy a hanko or have a hanko made. 
   Kanji, katakana or Roman alphabet are acceptable. A registered Japanese alias (popular-name)
   is okay.

  2) Jitsu-in
   The registered one is called ”Jitsu-in”.
   You have to registeret it at the City Office and it is used for serious contractual matters things such
   as the purchase of the car, etc. This is often the largest (about the diameter of your thumb: 12mm
   to 18mm) hanko. It is an important one. 

  3) Mitome-in
   The hanko for casual informal affairs is called “Mitome-in”(Unregistered Inkan). 
     Unregistered hankos are often used for things like signing for packages, etc.

 How to get a Hanko/ Have a Hanko made

 You will be able to purchase it or have a Hanko made at Hanko shop “Hanko-ya”.

 You may make a Hanko with Phonetic equivalent of Kanji (a Chinese character used as a phonetic
 symbol rather than for its meaning or an arbitrarily used substitute character), Katakana and Roman
 character for "Bank-in" and "Mitome-in". However, the registered inkan "Jitsu-in" a same as your legal
 name registered at the City office. 

 You can purchase a Hanko as below (in Tsukuba);
  ・100-yen shop (You can buy a inkan for Bank-in and a Mitome-in(Unregistered Inkan) )
  ・Homac (near Kasumi,Tel:864-7501, Open:9:30A.M-8:00P.M), 
  ・Hankoya-heian-do(Inside of the Dayz Town Tsukuba shopping-mall, Tel:855-0077, 
  ・Otani (inside of the iias shopping-mall, Tel:855-5692, Open:10:00A.M-10:00P.M) and 
  ・Inshou-do (3-13-3 Amakubo,Tel:029-854-0997, Open:) in Tsukuba.
  ・On the Internet : (in Japanese) 

 Procedure of Inkan registration

  Which inkan is posible to registre as “Jitsu-in”
  1) A trace size of the registered inkan is bigger than 8mm and smaller than 25mm.
   (Prices are different with the materials of the inkan, size, number of the letters)

  2) Material of Jitsu-in is permitted made from woods, horns, tusks, metals, and made of resin. Not
    permitted plastics and rubber, because those are change the shape.

  3) It is express the name of the person.

  4) The name on it will have to be the same as your legal name registered at the City office.
    If you are non-Japanese, this will be either your alphabetic passport name or it will be your
    registered Japanese alias.  Accept katakana or the alphabet 
       ・The full alphabetic passport name — family name followed by given name is okay
       ・An initialized(頭文字kashiramoji) name and a full name combination is okay

 Example : 
   Mr. George Timothy Clooney (Registered name at the City office)
     ・ Katakana-write :「ジョージ ティモシー クルーニー」 
     ・ You can registration form ①ー⑩
      ①George Timothy Clooney、②George Clooney、③Clooney、④George、⑤Timothy. 
      ⑥ジョージ ティモシー クルーニー, ⑦ジョージ クルーニー, ⑧ジョージ, ⑨ティモシー, ⑩クルーニー 
      ※You cannot use the kanji of phonetic equivalent for Japanese alias. 

  Necessary things for registration.

  1)Inkan which you have registered
  2)Resident Card
  3)Fee is 200yen (Tsukuba city)

  You receive a personal seal registration card “Inkan-toroku-shou”
   Completed the Inkan-registration.

 updated: 2019-12-03