KEK Top User Information Users Office Japanese Site map Links
1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
 Before coming to Japan
  Driver's License,
  Medical Insurance
  KEK User Registration
  KEK Accommodation
  Renting an Apartment
  Japanese Elecctricity
  SIM card / iphone /
  Cell phon
  Daily things in Japan
  Weather Forecast
  Japanese Language
  Japan Rail Pass

1 Renting an Apartment


 When you are looking for a room for rent in TSUKUBA. First, we recommend to consult the responsible
 researcher for your stay or KEK Users Office ( ).
 In Tsukuba, there are two kinds of leasehold.
 One is guesthouses which Takezono-house and Ninomiya-house, operated by Japanese Science and
 Technology Agency and the other are privately owned rooms.

 In Takezono-house rent fee of rooms; Period of rent is from one month to five years.
        for one-person (36㎡) is 63,000yen/one month
        for two-people (63㎡) is 86,000yen/one month
        for the familys (93㎡) is 106,000yen/one month
 In Ninomiya-house, rent fee of rooms; Period of rent is over one week to five years.
        for one-person (34㎡) is 76,000yen/one month, 2,533yen/one day
        for two-people (63㎡) is 100,000yen/one month, 3,334yen/one day

 All of these rooms are furnished. Reservation for staying more than 21 days, accepted six month before
 the stay. However these rooms are located at center of Tsukuba, you will need to take a bus or a car
 for transportation to KEK. Access between KEK and Takezono-house, Ninomiya-house, Please see PDF

 Real estate agents in Tsukuba have some furnished rent rooms near KEK. You will be able to come to
 KEK by bicycle. The rent fee is from 40,000yen/1K. If you won't need furniture, There are unfurnished
 rent rooms which rent-fee from 18,000yen/1K. 

 There are several Real estate agents in Tsukuba. Their website are only Japanese and staffs cannot
 speak English very well. However, Issei Shoji (Real estate agent) ya have staffs who can speak English
 or Chinese, please call them before you visit at there.

  Please visit the website of Takezono house and Ninomiya house:

  List of leasehold :
  ・oheya-sagashi-MAST: ya (Japanese)
  ・iiheya net: ya (Japanese)
  ・MOME'S: ya (Japanese)

 Terms used when borrowing

 1_1 Real estate agent ”Fudosan-ya”

  Shops that buys/sell or intermediate apartments, houses, and leaseholds.

 1_2. Rental fee ”Yachin”

  Charge for renting the house and the apartment. They are usually charged monthly.

 1_3. Maintenance fee and common-area charge ”Kanri-hi” and “Kyo-eki-hi”

  Monthly charge necessary for the management and cleaning etc. of places (stairs and passage, etc.)
  commonly used by the residents.

 1_4 Security Deposit ”Shikikin”

  Money deposited to the landlord (owner). When the tenant moves, it is used for unpaid rent or for
  restoration of dirty or, destroyed equipement. The balance will be reimbursed.

 1_5. Key money ”Reikin”

  Reward money traditionally paid to the landlord when contracting, and it will not be paid back.
  This may not be necessary for some leaseholds.

 1_6 Agent commission ”Chukai Te-su-ryo”

  It is a commission paid to the real estate agent who mediated the room search.

 1_7. Guarantor system ”Rentai ho-sho-nin”

  The guarantor is usually required to secure the responsibility of tenants to restore the unusual
  damages of the house/leasehold. You can join a guarantor exemption program with some additional


In some real estate agents of Tsukuba, you can find properties which need not a guarantor, instead, by joining "Guarantor exemption plan" When you apply for "Guarantor exemption plan" you need the passport, the Residence card, and the incumbency certificate, etc.
Fee for this program is about 2.0-2.5% of the rent every month.

 Basic knowledge

 1_1 Fee/ Deposit

  When you rent it a room/apartment, various fees/deposit such as monthly rent, security deposit fee
  ( It is not necessary occasionally), key money, fire insurance and the agent commission, are

  1_2. Room size

  In Japan, the size of an apartment is expressed as the number of tatami-mats that make up the room,
  for example, "6 jou", or in "tsubo" (Japanese unit measuring area equivalent to 2 jou). One tatami-
  mat size "1 Jo" is equivalent to 1.62 square meters and one tsubo, 3.3 square meters.

 1_3. Interior of the room cannot be changed

  In Japan, a tenant usually is not allowed to change/damage the interior of their apartments, including
  nailing in the wall.
  Changing the colors of the wall, partitions or doors needs permission of the landlord in advance.
  Please keep this in mind that you may be charged for the changes without permission when you move
  out of the apartment. You must not share the room without permission of the landlord.

  1_4 Noise Trouble

  One of the main problems people encounter is the NOISE from neighboring rooms.
  In apartment buildings of the walls and floors are not thick enough to shut out the noise. If you can
  hear the voice or sound from the room next to you or above you, you may be the noise source
  against the neighbors.
  Particularly after 10:00 pm, we advise that you keep your TV or radio on low volume, and also walk
  quietly up and down the stairs.
  On the same reason, please refrain from using your washing machine, vacuum cleaner, or other loud
  electrical appliances late at night.

  1_5. The Culture of Taking your Shoes OFF

  Traditionally, in Japan people do not wear shoes in the house. In Japan landlords and real estate
  agents assume that the tenants will take their shoes off upon entering the apartment.
  Even if you wear shoes in the house in your home country, please take your shoes off before entering
  your apartment.
  Also, when entering a Japanese style room ("Wa-shitsu" in Japanese), it is proper etiquette to remove
  your slippers before entering.

  1_6 Prevent from getting kitchen walls Greasy.

  Japanese food is mainly grilled, boiled, or mixed. Compared to other Asian countries, Japanese dishes
  are fried in oil less frequently. So, kitchen walls spotted with grease and oil are not desirable. Dirty
  kitchen may cause you an additional charge for cleaning/refurnishing when you move out.
  If you use oil in, please be sure to clean diligently so that the ceilings and walls aren't left sticky with
  grease. Also, please be sure to ventilate your kitchen well.
  To protect against stickiness or spottered grease, you can buy special aluminum foil to cover the walls
  and kitchen counters at any supermarkets.
  Please take extra care to keep your kitchen area clean.

 Floor Plan

 "L "means living room," D " means dining room and " K "means kitchen.
 " 1K" means, one room with kitchenette and "2DK" means 2 rooms with dining kitchen.

     1Kapartment.   1LDKapartment    2KDapartment
          1K                1LDK                 2DK

        (玄関:Entrance,  浴室:bath 洗面:Lavatory, 物入:Closet, 廊下:Passage) 

 The Japanese-style room indicates the room with the tatami-mat, and the Western-style room indicates
 the room of the wood-flooring, cushion floor or the carpetted. When you rent tatami- mat rooms, and
 damaged them, you may be charged for the refurbishment. The cost is from 5000yen to 10,000yen for
 a piece.
 Please take care of using it.

 Necessary documents for the contract

  ・Residence Card
  ・Income statement
  ・Guarantor approval book
  ・Bank account register and Bank sign

 When you make a rental contract, total amount of money required would be 5 or 6 fold of monthly rent
 (Rent of this month and next month, deposit, key money and agent commission, etc.)

 Parking fee is not included in the rent. So you have to pay additonally.

 Electricity, Gas, and Water service

 Let's prepare for living, when the rental contract of room has been set.

 orenji_pin Electricity

 A circuit breaker switch is located inside the Apartment. Fill your address, your name, and the date you
 start using, on the postcard that is hanged down from the main breaker soon after you enter the room,
 and send it to the office of Tokyo
 Electric Power Company. Electricity becomes available immediately after you turn on the breaker.

 orenji_pin Gas

 You have to call the gas corporation and determine the date when you want to start using the gas, after
 making the contract. The gasman comes on that day to open the valve. Most leasehold properties are
 not equipped with gas-cookers.
 So you need to buy it beforehand.

 orenji_pin Water

 After you received the room key, call TSUKUBA city water service customer service (029-851-2811),
 and tell them your apartment address, apartment name and the room number, telephone number.
 It becomes available in 2 or 3 minute.
 The customer service is open from 8:30 to 17:15 (Sunday, National holiday, and January 1st, 2nd, 3rd
 are closed). They can communicate in Japanese only.

 updated: 2019-12-02